Charlotte Allen: Nursery Supervisor
Welcome to our nursery at Southern Oaks Baptist Church. We believe our children are a blessing from God. We desire to help your child(ren) feel comfortable and secure in our care while you participate in Bible study, worship, teaching, or leading others.
It is our joy to partner with you to build a strong spiritual foundation for your child. We want to take the first steps with you towards introducing Jesus’ love to them through a safe, Christ-centered environment. We believe it is never too early to start teaching your child about God and how wonderful He is to us.
In this handbook, we hope you see we are committed to providing a loving and safe environment through our policies and procedures. Please take a few minutes to review and understand our policies. If you have any questions or suggestions, please call us anytime.
Rebecca Sorge, Director of Children’s Ministries
Charlotte Allen, Nursery Supervisor
- Nursery includes all children 3 years of age and younger.
- Childcare includes all children PreK through 4th grade and must be pre-arranged with nursery supervisor.
- The nursery opens 15 minutes before Sunday morning and evening services and 15 minutes before Wednesday night services, small groups, Ladies’ Bible study, and Women’s Ministry events.
- For extra nurseries/ childcare (i.e. Kid’s Club, Committee meetings, etc.) the nursery will open at the time the event/meeting is scheduled to begin.
- Please pick up your child(ren) immediately after service/event/meeting.
We ask the nursery workers to come in early, so they have time to prepare themselves and the room for your child(ren).
Please have all of your child(ren)’s belongings properly labeled.
-Diaper bag (label is given with security stickers)
Any items not labeled may be labeled by a nursery worker.
- We will be happy to feed your child(ren) the food you provide or the formula, milk, juice, or water provided in your bottle or cup. Please tell the nursery workers what your child(ren) will need while they are in their care.
- If you bring your child(ren) dinner, please have the food ready for them to eat.
- Toddlers-3 years olds may receive goldfish or animal crackers and apple juice provided by the church. If your child is allergic to anything, please notify the nursery worker.
- For any mother who is nursing, we have a Nursing Area located in the infant room.
- A child should not be brought in the nursery if any of these symptoms are present within the last 24 hours:
-Fever over 100 degrees orally
-Vomiting or diarrhea
-Significant, persistent nasal drainage
-Childhood disease such as: Scarlet fever, German measles, and mumps
-Chicken pox- a child may return to the nursery provided all open areas are scabbed over
-Any unexplained skin infection
-Conjunctivitis (pink eye) or an eye infection
-Parasites, any form of lice, mites, or ringworm
- If your child develops any of these symptoms while in our care, your child will be separated from the other children, and you will be contacted immediately.
- If your child develops an infectious illness soon after they have been in the nursery, please contact Rebecca Sorge at (903)561-8025 or
The health and well-being of your child(ren) are very important to us. We strive to have our nursery be the cleanest area in the church.
- All toys are cleaned with disinfectant.
- The sheets/ blankets are washed after each use.
- All spills are immediately cleaned up.
- Gloves are provided for workers to use.
- Workers wash their hands after each diaper change or wiping any noses.
- The changing table is disinfected after each diaper change.
- The nursery is cleaned after Sunday services and throughout the week.
Safety and Security Policies
We love taking care of your child(ren) in the nursery, but this also comes with the responsibility of protecting them. At Southern Oaks, we take every step possible to make sure you feel comfortable leaving your child(ren) with us.
- When dropping off your child(ren), we ask you remain outside the gate or door. It would compromise our Security Procedures should we allow free entry into the rooms.
- A nursery worker will greet you at the door for drop off and pick up. They will take your child and bag. You will be asked to fill out a Security Sticker and take a pager (if applicable). At this time, please inform the nursery worker of any special instructions for your child while they are in our care.
- It is also important to remember it is easier on your child if you drop them off and leave the door promptly. If he/she is having trouble adjusting, our nursery workers will make every effort possible to help them feel comfortable in our nursery. In the event we are unable to console your child, we will page you to let you know.
- When you come to pick up your child(ren), we ask you again remain outside the door or gate. Many of the children can walk and will run outside the gate if it is opened, so please do not open the gate unless instructed to do so by the nursery worker.
- Please remember to be patient when other parents are at the door.
It is very important to us at Southern Oaks to have quality nursery workers caring for our children. We take the hiring process very seriously.
Every nursery worker:
- Is required to fill out an application
- Must agree to a background check
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must have Reducing the Risk and CPR training
- Must show patience, kindness, and love in all situations
We are so blessed to have your child(ren) at Southern Oaks Baptist Church. We feel God has given us a huge responsibility, and we do not take this lightly. Our prayer is you would join with us in this effort to keep our nursery safe, clean, and most importantly filled with love.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us anytime. May God bless you and your family.
Rebecca Sorge, Director of Children's Ministries Charlotte Allen, Nursery Supervisor